- explain how the treatment is given.
- watch her as she does the first treatment in the clinic
- she should return to the clinic if the infection worsens.
- check the mother`s understanding before she leaves the clinic.
Common local infection in children
- skin pastule or umbilical infection.
- oral thrush (white patches in mouth)or mouth ulcer
- eye infection(conjuctivitis)
TreatmentApply gentian violet twice daily for 5 days. The mother should :
- wash hand
- gently wash off pus and crust with soap and water.
- dry the area
- paint with gentian violent
- wash hand
- give oral antibiotic-Flucloxacillin or ampicillin.
Eye infection /conjuctivitis.Eye infection should treated with tetracycline eye ointment. This drug of choice.
- Clean both eyes 3 times daily for 5 days.
- wash hands
- use clean cloth and water to gently wipe away pus.
- then apply tetracycline in both eyes 3 times daily.
- open the eyes of the young infant and squirt a small amount of ointment on the inside of lower lid
- wash hand again continua with treatment until redness is gone.
- NB do not use other eye ointment or drops or put anything else in the eye.
- Wash hands,
- Wash mouth with clean soft cloth wrapped around the finger and wet with salt water.
- Instill Nystatin
- Wash hand
- If breast-fed advice the mother to wash her breast after feeds and apply the same medicine on the oreolar.
Teaching mother/caregiver to give oral medication at home.Follow the instructions below for every oral drug to be given at home to treat infection.
- clinician should determine appropriate drugs and dosage for the child`s age or weight
- tell the mother/caregiver the reason for giving the drug to the child.
- demonstrate how to measure a dose.
- Watch the mother /caregiver practice measuring a dose by themselves.
- Ask the caregiver/mother to give the first dose to their child.
- Explain carefully how to give the drug,then label and package the drug.
- If more than one drug will be given,collect,count and package each drug separately.
- Explain that all oral drug tablet or syrup must be used to finish the course of treatment, even if the child gets better.
- Check the mother/caregiver understanding before they leave the clinic.